Map for Impact
Map for Impact is a ground-breaking study which presents the first comprehensive attempt to map the scope and contributions of Victorian social enterprises.
In Victoria, social enterprises play an important role in delivering services, fostering economic participation, and contributing to social innovation. Despite growing public and policy interest, little has been previously documented about the characteristics and impacts of social enterprises in Victoria.
The Map for Impact project was commissioned as part of the Social Enterprise Strategy implemented by the Victorian Government in 2017.
Through a process of desktop research, surveying and online data mining, the project identified 3,500 Victorian social enterprises and determined that the sector practises inclusive employment and contributes $5.2 billion to the Victorian economy.
July 2017 – December 2017
- Professor Jo Barraket, Chief Investigator
- Dr Erin Castellas, Project Manager
- Dr Roksolana Suchowerska, Researcher
- Dr Kiros Hiruy, Data Analysis Manager
- Associate Professor Malcolm Abbott, Economist
- Dr Mike Moran, Researcher
- Dr Christina Ting, Data Visualization
- Tracy DeCotta, Data Visualization
- Dr Chris Mason, Advisor
- Dr Chris Dembek, Advisor
- Professor Robyn Eversole, Advisor
- Professor Jane Farmer, Advisor
- Libby Ward-Christie, Advisor
- Isabelle Asfar, Research Assistant
- Jordan Brown, Research Assistant
- Aurora Elmes, Research Assistant
- Dawson Grace, Research Assistant
- Dr Zara Lasater, Research Assistant
- Dr Jo McNeill, Research Assistant
- Deepanwita Panda, Research Assistant
- Fanny Rios, Research Assistant
- Nicola Hannigan, Communications
- Andrew Traucki, Communications
- Jozz Scott, Web Design
- Hannah Murphy, Report Design
In partnership with Victorian Government Department of Economic Development, Jobs, Transport and Resources (now Department of Jobs, Precincts and Regions).
Explore our other research projects
The Australian Digital Inclusion Index
Evaluation of Be Connected: A Digital Literacy for Older Australians Program
Building Connections for Enterprising Women
Enterprising Rural Women: North West Tasmania
Improving Health Equity for Young People: The Role of Social Enterprise
Intensification of Beef Cattle Production in Upland Cropping Systems in Northwest Vietnam
The International Special Skills Institute’s International Fellowship Program
Making Policy Reform Work: a comparative analysis of social procurement
Mapping the African Diaspora in Australia
Mapping the Impact of Social Enterprise on Regional City Disadvantage
Maximising Effective Social Investment for Traditional Owner Trusts
Reimagining humanitarian action in a digital world
Resilience and Resourcing of Social Enterprise: A Longitudinal Study
Social Enterprise Impact Lab project
Social Startup Studio
Want to keep up to date with our work?
Subscribe to our newsletter and receive alerts about upcoming events and news stories.
Contact the Centre for Social Impact Swinburne
There are many ways to engage with us. Get in touch to discuss how we can work together to determine new approaches to learning and knowledge creation by calling +61 3 9214 3757 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.