The amount of credit you'll receive is based on the type of study you have completed, how many units you've completed and the relevance to the course you are applying for.

Contact us to discuss your eligibility for credit exemptions

Changing university

If you’re switching to Swinburne from another university, you may be eligible for advanced credit. The credit you are eligible to receive is based on your individual situation. 

The table below is a guide to the amount of credit you may receive when you transfer courses and is based on how much of your course you have already completed.

Length of study completed

Credit you may receive

One semester

Up to four units of study (one semester)

Two semesters

Up to eight units of study (two semesters)

Four semesters

Up to 12 units of study (three semesters)

Switching from a certificate III, certificate IV or diploma

If you're switching from a diploma that you completed at another educational institution, please contact us to discuss your eligibility for course credits.

Search for credit

You can search for information about credit agreements between Swinburne and other educational institutions in Australia and overseas.

Credit calculator

Follow these steps to apply for course credit:

  1. Apply for your chosen course at Swinburne. During this process, we will assess your application for relevant credit.
  2. If your application is successful, you will receive your offer letter. To complete the process, proceed to step four. 
  3. If you wish to apply for further credit, you will have to complete the Application for Academic Credit form and provide the following documentation:
    1. certified copy of an academic transcript or statement of attainment from your previous educational institution
    2. course outlines showing content, learning outcomes and assessment requirements from your previous study
    3. an explanation of the grading structure used at the educational institution you are switching from

      Note: as the enrolment process is completed online, you will need to scan your documents and upload them.
  4. Follow the instructions on your offer letter and begin the enrolment process..

As a transfer student, if you are required to attend an exemptions session on campus, you will be informed by the online enrolment tool.

If you are not transferring universities after the first year and instead plan to transfer to us from another Australian educational institution prior to completing the first six months of your principal course, you must apply for a release at your current education provider. Your principal course is the final course in a packaged offer. 

If you are a sponsored student, you must submit a letter to us from your government sponsor supporting your course transfer.

If you have completed the first six months of your principal course at another Australian educational institution, a Letter of Release is not required. 

If you are transferring universities or applying for academic credit from an overseas educational institution, a Letter of Release is not required.

Need advice?

If you need help with changing university, Swinburne offers advice by phone or email.

You can also attend a one-on-one appointment at the Hawthorn Campus to discuss your study options and get help with your application for course transfer.

Ready to become a Swinburne student?

Learn the process of applying to study at Swinburne, whether you're an international or local student, we're here to help. 

Learn more