The Department of Home Affairs is responsible for issuing visas into the country. Student visas can only be granted for study in courses that are registered on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS)

How to apply for a student visa in Australia

To apply for a student visa, visit the Department of Home Affairs website. Visas are not automatic and all criteria must be met. 
To submit an Australian student visa application, you must have accepted your offer to study with us and paid your deposit. Learn more about how to accept your offer.

You will need to present the following documents to the Department of Home Affairs:

  • a valid passport
  • your Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) from Swinburne
  • your Letter of Offer from Swinburne
  • all other relevant documents listed on the Department of Home Affairs visa checklists.

Please ensure you read and understand the Department of Home Affairs visa checklists, conditions and requirements before you apply.

Conditions of your visa

Your student visa will be subject to a range of conditions. If you do not meet those conditions, your visa may be cancelled. 
For information about visa conditions, please refer to the Department of Home Affairs
Note that your visa will be issued for the course(s) listed on your Swinburne Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE). If you change or extend your course at Swinburne, you may need to change your visa or visa details. 
Restrictions apply to changes and extensions. Please refer to the Department of Home Affairs for more information. 

Students under 18

If you’re under 18 years of age, your parent/s must nominate a guardian before the Department of Home Affairs will consider your student visa application.

The Department of Home Affairs requires your guardian to:

  • live in Australia
  • be at least 21 years of age
  • be related to you
  • be of good character.

Note that the Department of Home Affairs defines a relative as a parent, step-parent, brother, sister, grandparent, aunt, uncle, step-aunt, step-uncle, spouse, de facto partner, child, step-child, step-brother, step-sister, grandchild, niece, nephew, step-grandparent, step-grandchild, step-niece or step-nephew of the applicant.
If you do not have a relative who lives in Australia, your parents will need to arrange for you to stay in accommodation approved by Swinburne. They will also need to contact a Swinburne-approved care provider agency before we will issue a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) and a Confirmation of Appropriate Accommodation and Welfare (CAAW) form.

Swinburne recommends the following care provider agencies: 

Students with families

If you plan to bring your family to Australia, please check conditions outlined by the Department of Home Affairs or contact your nearest Australian diplomatic mission
Note that your student visa assessment criteria may change if your family is accompanying you to Melbourne. 
Learn more about bringing your family to Melbourne.

Do you need help?

Need a little more information about applying for a student visa? Can’t find the answer to your questions? Our friendly and knowledgeable international student support team are here to help.

Find out more